2023-06-11

One more thing first...

Every online tool you use does MFA slightly differently -- that's the first bad news. It means I can't say "just do this", "just do that" and it'll explain for all times.

But it's not that bad. For one thing, the mechanisms are all pretty similar. Once you know one, you'll have a hint when you get to the other ones. That's good news.

Even better... as multiple services consolidate -- something I'm not really happy about but there are upsides -- there's a certain uniformity the services gain so that if you know how to do it in one service by, say, Meta, you'll know how to do it in another of their offerings. That's even better news.

And yet... online services are constantly looking for ways to "improve" their web pages, not realizing that change is a downgrade by default -- until we find the new places things have been stuck -- and that can be bad news.

All that is to preface my instructions and justify their sketchiness. What I'm describing is Summer 2023 on Facebook, on a desktop. There's a difference here between my preference and my wife's. She does everything on her phone. I do everything on a laptop/desktop. I view things on a phone but most of what I do is on a desktop.

You can do all these things on a phone, too, but maybe the first time you'll want to do this on a computer? If you have one, great.

If you don't, maybe your public library is a good option? Ask them before you try, "How sure you are that my credentials are safe if I enter them on those computers?" Librarians are cool and if you press a bit (respectfully, remember) and there is a problem, they'll crack and may suggest a better local option.

If they're firm that there's no problem, there's no problem, at least not in most western countries. Remember, these are the people who resist book bans. Let me say it again in my best Henry Winkler voice: Librarians are Cool! ๐Ÿ‘ (Leather jacket extra, motorbike? I prefer my pedals)

When it comes to doing MFA, you'll find it easier to do on a desktop regardless. We did one MFA for my wife on her phone and switching from one app to another was a bit tricky. It was possible but took a few tries. We did the next one on a laptop and it was a lot easier, switching from one device to another instead of switching from one app on the phone to another.

Have you got your FaceBook page up? Bring it up and click newer. ๐Ÿงต3/4

(click older to get parts 1 and 2)

No comments: